The Q&A Archives: No Red Tomatoes

Question: Last year I started all my own tomato plants, I didn't get<br>a single red tomato. I was told I had tomato "blight" is<br>this possible? Or could it be something else?

Answer: Usually if a plant doesn't produce, it's because it was planted late in the season and the fruit didn't have time to set and ripen. If your plant was healthy and grew green tomatoes, then it just didn't have the required time and heat to mature those fruits. If, on the other hand, your plant was sickly, then the disease was certainly the cause of no ripened fruit. There are two kinds of blight diseases that can ruin tomato plants. One, called early blight, is a slowly developing disease that begins with small dead spots on the lower leaves which eventually turn yellow. Tomato fruit can also be affected and show dark sunken spots. The other blight, late blight, is also a fungus that attacks leaves and stems, but consumes the plant at a rapid pace.<br><br>If you suspect your tomatoes had either of these blights, be sure to plant next year's tomato plants in a different area of the garden so they won't be infected by any soil-borne pathogens. Make sure your tomato plants get full sunshine all day, and try to provide water to the root area without wetting the leaves.<br><br>Hope you have a better crop next summer!