The Q&A Archives: Hardy Pampas Grass

Question: Last year I purchased a hardy pampas grass (erinthus ravennae) and it did great. This year it is May 27 and it has not come up yet. I live in zone 4 and we have had a very normal spring as far as rain and temps. I really like this grass for it's ht. and as a screen. I hope it is not dead and just a slow starter. Thank you for your time and attention with this matter.

Answer: Erianthus ravennae is often called hardy pampas grass. It is a perennial (although it is acting like a biennial!) and it is hardy down to zone 5. Since you're in zone 4, I would consider it marginal in your garden. I wonder if your winter temperatures were just too much for this plant? I'd dig it up and check the roots to make sure they're alive. If so, replant; if not, you may have to replace your lovely plant.