The Q&A Archives: dying plants

Question: For the past 4 summers I have plants annuals in one area and die-off one by one. The first 3 years it was impatiens and this year is it vincas. What do you think the problem is?

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what is happening, however it might be something to do with the soil in that spot such as it is badly drained or there is fill dirt there or something once spilled there or there is a nearby gas leak, that type of historical problem. Or, it may be that there is a soil borne disease in the soil in that area. If you suspect it is a disease, I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and see if they can diagnose the problem more specifically based on the symptoms.