The Q&A Archives: Plum Passion Nandina

Question: Our Nandina is in the second year. Last year the flowerbuds never opened up, now it is the same stage ready to open up. Is there any thing we can do, I have fertilized the plant and watered more this year. I like to see some red berries for winter. Please let us know how to care for our Nandina. Thanks, catharina

Answer: Plant maturity and good cultural care are the keys to berry set in Nandina. Flowering is a good sign - without flowers, you'll get no berries. Failure of the flowers to open could be a result of plant immaturity or stress (recent transplanting, drought, etc.) Now that your plant has been in its garden site for over a year, it should open those blooms. Nandinas seem to produce berries most abundantly when there is a grouping of the plants, rather than a single specimen. Though the plants are self-fertile, they are at their best when cross-pollinated. If your nandina doesn't bloom for you this year, try planting in a group (3 or more shrubs). If that doesn't work, you can introduce a different variety of nandina to assure berry production.