The Q&A Archives: Lucky Bamboo Plant

Question: I need to replant a lucky bamboo plant, because it has been getting to much water and some of the bamboo is has died. So what do I plant it in??

Answer: Cindy,

Water bamboo or lucky bamboo as it is sometimes called is actually not a bamboo at all but rather a type of dracaena.

Those twisted stalks have been made that way by turning the plant slowly over time to make it bend toward the light. On your water bamboo you will basically just have leaves on the stalks you purchased, although over time they may continue to grow and develop shoots. You can plant it in a container of soil but it will be set back for while until it develops new roots as the old ones developed in water are poorly suited to soil. Keep the plants moist but not soggy wet and a good strong root system will develop in a few weeks.