The Q&A Archives: Transplanting a Dogwood

Question: I have a Dogwood that is directly over my main sewer pipe and the pipe needs to be replaced within the next year or two. I want to transplant the tree to my back yard, but I'm not sure of the best way to attempt this. The Dogwood is very healthy right now and at least 6 or 7 years old, about 12 feet tall, and at the base the trunk is about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Do I have a chance? Is there an optimal time of year to do this?

Answer: This is really unfortunate. Dogwoods do not transplant well, especially older well established trees like this. They have a shallow root system that spreads very wide. On a tree that size the root ball will be large and heavy and would need professional equipment to dig it. I would suggest you consult on site with a professionally trained and certified arborist with experience in moving ornamental trees and see what they say. Too, if you really like the tree, it might be less expensive to have the line re-routed. Good luck!