The Q&A Archives: FAULKNER BOXWOOD conditions

Question: can I keep a faulkner boxwood in a place with a lot shade?
Thanks for your help.

Answer: Boxwoods will grow in either sun or shade, but it is better if they receive some direct sun each day. In more shade they grow more slowly, and boxwoods are slow growers to begin with.

More important, they need protection from winter wind and a soil that is evenly moist yet well drained, meaning not saturated or sopping wet. This is very important as it helps with winter hardiness.

I mention this because your zip code places you in zone 5A or the coldest part of zone 5. In an exposed or windy location it could be as cold as zone 4. This boxwood is only considered hardy into zone 5. I would strongly recommend you consult with your professionally trained nursery staff and also possibly your county extension to see if they feel you have a suitable planting site for boxwood.

I hope this helps!