The Q&A Archives: Pruning Quince

Question: My two year old quince is not growing very fast. Should I prune it to make it grow faster? <br>

Answer: There are two types of quince; flowering and fruiting. The flowering variety grows quickly and the fruiting quince grows quite slowly. If yours is a fruiting quince, it's probably just growing at its normal rate. It likes heavy, well-drained soil, and full sunlight. Prune it just enough to thin the branches and stimulate a little new growth. If you fertilize too much, or prune back too hard, you'll force lots of new growth that will be susceptible to disease. Since your tree is only two years old, it's just becoming established in your garden. Give it a little time and it will steadily put on new growth and eventually will flower and produce fruit for you.