The Q&A Archives: Care for Avalance Clematis

Question: This past Spring, I planted a monrovia avalance clematis in a large container which sits on my concrete driveway at the east-facing corner of my house. It gets quite a bit of direct sun. Although it has produced some new growth, many of the leaves are turning brown. I'm watering regularly --in fact, almost daily since we now have temperatures in high 80's. Reading your care instructions, I realize my clematis would be happier with roots in the shade. Any suggestions as to how I can make it happy in the container?

Answer: Roots can overheat in containers so I'd suggest shading the pot with a grouping of additional potss, attractive rocks, or even setting the pot into a larger container with enough room to place some insulating material around the pot in which your clematis is planted. Best wishes with your clematis!