The Q&A Archives: When to remove stake that new tree is tied to?

Question: I recently bought and planted CornusxRutban,

Answer: Trees are typically staked while in nursery containers to keep them from becoming damaged in transit. Now that you have your tree home and planted in the ground, you can remove the stake. If your tree begins to lean to one side because of prevailing winds, you can stake it to hold it upright. I'd recommend using two or three stakes rather than a single stake. Either place them on opposite sides of the tree or in a triangle around the trunk, set about two feet away from the trunk. Then tie the trunk securely (but not too tightly) to each stake so there is equal tension on all the ties. This will help the tree stand upright until the root system becomes deeply established. You can generally remove your staking system in two years.