The Q&A Archives: Crimson Queen Maple-leaf striations

Question: This tree has been in the ground about 4 months. Shortly after planting we noticed white/yellow lines on the leaves. We transplanted to a sheltered, better watered area and the damage continues. Any suggestions? There is Astilbe around the base. The nursery diagnosed spider mites and we have sprayed with a commercial soap once a week, thouroughly, no help. Thank you for your attention, Nancy

Answer: Spider mites may cause stippling of the leaves and webbing where the leaf meets the stem, but I don't think they will cause white or yellow lines on the leaves. There is a disease called Chlorotic Leaf Streak which is caused by a virus. The symptoms are similar enough to what you describe that I think it's worth investigating. I'd take a sample of the affected leaves to your local Cooperative Extension office. If they can't diagnose the problem on-site, they can send it to the California State University pathology lab for you. Here's the contact information:
Cal State U Extension Office
669 County Square Dr. #100
Ventura, CA 93003-5401