The Q&A Archives: Will Eastern Snowball Viburnum grow and bloom in North Hollywood CA?

Question: I recently purchased an Eastern Snowball, Viburnum. The tag says that it will grow in zones 3-8. I think of my zip as being in zone 9.
I'm in the San Fernando Valley.
I appreciate your help.

Answer: Summer Winds Nursery in southern California has Viburnum opulus 'Sterile' on display in their landscape. They report that this plant causes quite a stir with its mass of white 2 to 3-inch snowball blooms. They recommend you plant it at the back of the border where it will rise above its companions to show off. It also looks good as the center plant in an island bed in the lawn. The bright green leaves have a purplish-red fall coloring. It is a spectacular landscape specimen and it flowers but bears no. Their experience with this shrub is that it doesn't flower until it's been in the landscape for two years.

Best wishes with your garden!