The Q&A Archives: Help for my staghorn fern

Question: I bought my staghorn fern a month ago. I placed it on some long stringed moss and tied it onto a wooden board. The board was new and smooth. I have been soaking it in the sink when the moss goes dry but the problem is that it looks like it's still struggleing with the adjustment. It is still very green but wimpy. The leaves are just drooping and I'm afraid it's going to die. What do I do? Please advise..

Answer: Emma,

I can't begin to do justice to the subject of growing a staghorn fern in this brief reply. Let me refer you to the following web sites, which should be very informative and useful to you. They provide lots of great info and tips as to the light levels and care for successful staghorn fern culture.

You might be interested in also attending the following workshop on staghorn ferns up the road in Austin, Texas!

June 10, 2006 - Staghorn Symposium & Workshop - Austin, TX
9 am to 3:30 p at Zilker botanical Garden in Austin.
Sponsered by The Garden Club of Austin

Roy Vail, internationally recognized platycerium expert and author, will lead the symposium and workshop. Workshops will teach everyone from beginning gardeners to the expert collectors, to successfully grow a variety of Platycerium. Participants will make a fern display of their own to take home.

The $35 registration fee includes lunch, the workshop and mounted Staghorn fern. All of the proceeds will benefit the fern beds at Zilker Botanical Garden. To register online, visit For more information contact Laura Joseph or Steven Reynolds