The Q&A Archives: Bougainvilleas

Question: I would like to plant Oo-La-La Bougainvilleas on a hillside. Can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages of going with 2 gallon plants vs 1 gallon size plants? What is the difference in price between the two? Do you have both sizes available? if not, will you have them later this summer?

Answer: Oo-La-La Bougainvilleas are an excellent choice for growing on a hillside. These trailing plants will fill in an area in practically no time at all. The advantage to planting 2-gallon plants is that they are older and larger which means they will cascade down the hill faster. On the other hand, one-gallon plants will cost less (usually about half) and once established, will grow quickly. I think I'd choose the smaller plants and plant twice as many. This way, if something happens to one, the rest will fill in any bare areas. I can't tell you the prices or what sizes are available at your local retailer - keeping track of inventory is not something we do here at the Q & A forum. Why not phone your local nursery to see what they have in stock? Best wishes with your new bougainvilleas!