The Q&A Archives: Bunnies eating my hosta's

Question: What can I put on my hosta's to stop the rabbits from eating them. I have a seasonl camper that I am only at on the weekends so I need something that will work fast and last long.

Answer: In my experience, the most reliable defense is a wire mesh fence to keep them away from the plants. It needs to be tall enough so they can't climb it and also buried underground horizontally and stretching outward so they don't tunnel beneath it. You might also try some of the spray on repellants sold at garden centers, but these do have to be applied and reapplied per the label directions. Also, if you have not actually seen the culprit in action, it might be a woodchuck or deer rather than a bunny. That would require different fencing and possibly a different repellent spray. I hope this helps.