The Q&A Archives: Preparing Garden Bed

Question: I live in Buffalo, NY. I am going down to Florida to landscape my uncle's office. I know Florida's landscape procedure is alot different than that of Buffalo's. After I dig out the beds I know it is going to need soil. If there is alot of sand where I am digging, can plants grow in sand ? Or when I dig out the bed should I go down really deep and remove as much sand as I can and then build the beds up with soil?
Thanks for your Time,
Michael Iacono

Answer: Whether you garden in New York or in Florida, plants still have the same requirements for organic-rich, well-draining soil. I'd begin by removing all weeds and debris from the planting bed, then adding lots of organic matter such as compost, aged-manure, etc. Spread a 4-6" layer over the entire bed and then dig it in to a depth of 6-8". The organic matter will help the sandy soil retain moisture and nutrients. After plants are chosen and placed in their new homes, spread an additional 2-3" of organic matter over the top of the bed, both to help the soil retain moisture and to help suppress weeds. Best wishes with your project!