The Q&A Archives: Green Tower Boxwood questions

Question: Hi,

I had contacted you earlier about a full hedge shrub and your team recommended Green Tower Boxwoods. The plant looks quite useful but I have two questions:
1. I will need approx 62 plants (5+ gallons preferred). I contacted 2 local suppliers and they have not called me back after 2 weeks (very unusual). Is this plant available in quantity?
2. My gardener wanted me to varify how fast it gains in height. He is concerned that this is a boxwood and that they are generally slow growers. The website says

Answer: Generally, rapid to moderate growth rate trees and shrubs will reach 5-6 feet tall in 7-9 years, while moderate to slow growth rate trees and shrubs will take 9-11 years to reach the same height. Soils, weather, weed and grass competition, and animal/human damage will effect growth rates.

Boxwoods are generally considered to be moderate to fast growers, but unless you begin with rather large shrubs, they won't reach 7' in only 2-3 years; it typically takes a full year for the roots to become established before shrubs and trees will begin to grow well. If it's immediate height you're interested in, you may want to plant 10-gallon plants.

Here at the Q & A forum we give gardening advice but we do not have information about the stock your nurseries might carry. I can only suggest you contact the larger nurseries in your area and request a special order. Most will be happy to assist you.

Best wishes with your new landscape!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"