The Q&A Archives: Frost damage?

Question: I have 2 silver lace vines that are 1 year old. One is at each end (west and east facing) of a large arbor. They were coming on and leafing out well until a few weeks ago when the west end one's leaves suddenly turned brown & dried up. Could it have been a late frost? if so, why only the one? Is it dead or only delayed and will come back? It was so sudden and total that I can't figure it out. Am hesitant to pull it, but do want a plant on that side...Help, I'm baffled!

Answer: What you describe could be frost damage; time will tell. I wouldn't dig the plant up quite yet. If a late frost nipped the new growth, the roots should send out new shoots in a few weeks. I'm not sure I can solve the mystery of why only one plant was affected, except to say that all gardens have micro-climates and some plants within a few feet of one another can escape frost damage while others are totally overcome. I'd wait on the vine - you wouldn't want to dig it up if it was really putting all its effort into resprouting. If you see no signs of life in 2-3 weeks, I'd replace it with a new silver lace vine. Best wishes with your garden!