The Q&A Archives: Pancake Kalanchoe problems

Question: I have a large pancake kalanchoe who's leaves are suddenly drying out, shriveling up and falling off the stalks from the bottom up. Is this normal leaf shedding, it has been gradually losing leaves and I'm afraid it won't have any left soon! also, it is coated (stems and leaf) with a thick chalky white

Answer: What you describe doesn't sound at all good! The chalky white coating could well be a fungal disease called powdery mildew; the drying out and shriveling up are symptoms of an advanced case of powdery mildew. Unfortunately there is no treatment for the disease. If possible, take the plant to your local Master Gardener Clinic or Cooperative Extension office for positive diagnosis of the problem. Best wishes with your Kalanchoe!