The Q&A Archives: Staghorn fern drooping

Question: My staghorn fern is a nice green color but it is looking very droopy, I have been soaking it in the sink for a couple of hours a week. I bought it on a small piece of wood that was way too small so I mounted it on a board with moss and now it has been a month and it seems to be still suffering, how can I help it not die?

Answer: Emma,

It is difficult to know whether it is getting enough water or not from the description but it does sound reasonable. How it was mounted is also a factor and the plant may not yet be accessing the moisture in the moss, although it certainly should by now. I suggest you consider how much sun it is in. Sun can burn the plant and certainly increases the need for moisture greatly. That plant needs a bright shade. You might try moving it to a spot with less sun exposure to give it time to adjust.

Thanks for the question and good luck with your staghorn fern. Please stop in again soon!