The Q&A Archives: catawba grape myrtle

Question: does the catawba grape myrtle loses it's leaves in the winter
I want to plant it along side evergrees.

Answer: Crepe myrtles are deciduous, so the crepe myrtle variety called "Catawba" will lose its leaves each fall. The botanical name would be Lagerstroemia indica 'Catawba'. This plant is considered winter hardy to zone 7. According to your zip code you are gardening in winter hardiness zone 6B which is colder than that. If you have a sheltered microclimate to plant it in and the soil is well drained, it might overwinter successfully for you. But in an average location or in an exposed or windy spot, I would not expect it to do well for you.

I should mention there is also a species of rhododendron called catawba. The botanical name is Rhododendron catawbiense. This is an evergreen and there are many different cultivars available with pink, white or purple flowers. If you wanted an evergreen, this might be a good choice.