The Q&A Archives: Plants For Window Boxes

Question: Can you give me suggestions for small window boxes? Ranch style house- would like old fashion flowers, very colorful boxes will get morning sun to semi-shade. Hurricane, WV is usually has dry & hot in summers. <br>

Answer: The possibilities really are endless. I like to add a few tall plants, a few low ones, and something to trail over the sides. Consider: Begonia, Alyssum, Ageratum, Blue Bird Forget me Nots, Impatiens, Lobelia, Torenia, Nasturtium, Coleus, Sonora BlackEyed Susans, Nolana, Plecranthus, and perhaps a dwarf sunflower (some reach only 12-16" tall). The secret to success with container gardening is starting off with good soil enhanced with organic matter such as compost, stay on top of watering (theymay need watering everyday, be sure to check regularly), and, be sure to fertilize with a simple analysis fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. Carefully follow application instructions.