The Q&A Archives: Soil - Butterfly Bush and Purple leaf Honeysuckle

Question: What soil and size container is best for your Black Knight Butterfly Bush and Purple Leaf Honeysuckle Vine which was purchased in 1 gallon pot.
Thanks for your help.
Joyce Cottone

Answer: Both your plants will be happy in regular potting soil. I recommend this rather than garden soil because it drains quickly yet holds just the right amount of moisture to make plant roots happy. Regular garden soil can dry out and be very hard to re-wet. Any good grade of potting soil will be just fine for your plants. You can use a decorative pot or a regular plastic or terra cotta pot for your plants. I'd start with a 3-gallon pot and expect to move them up to 5 or 7 gallon pots in 2-3 years (use fresh potting soil when you repot). Enjoy your new plants!