The Q&A Archives: identifying a tree purchased from your nursery some 10 years ago

Question: I am writing from Israel. I came across a plant
purchased from your nursery some 10 years ago which is fascinating. It is a kind of wild apple which has BLUE apples in clusters and which has a lovely 4cm diameter pink flower. When touched,
the fuzzie blue on the apples reveals a kind of purplish grape color. Can you please identify ?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on the information in your question I am not certain which plant you are asking about. The apple family (Rosaceae) includes a huge variety of widely adapted plants ranging from rose bushes to apple trees to cherries and serviceberries -- all of which include native growing varieties. You might have some kind of Amelanchier. If it is not truly in the apple family (with a pome fruit) it might possibly be some type of Vaccinium (family Ericaceae), there are some varieties with pink flowers and distinctive blue fruits. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.