The Q&A Archives: Looking for an ornamental shrub for planter

Question: Could you please tell me what I should consider for an ornamental shrub that will go in a large planter? Of course it must be an evergreen, and medium in size (no more than 6 feet) and nothing too skinny. I've been told that shrubs will not tolerate as cold of weather being in a planter. Not very crazy about Junipers. Could a Waxleaf Privet or Cherry Laurel work, or is there something better? I live in the Dallas, TX area. Thanks!

Answer: What you've heard is true; plants in containers are less winter hardy than those planted in the ground, but the following selections should do just fine in a raised planter in your gardening zone:
Dwarf burford holly (Ilex cornuta rotunda burfordii); Dwarf palmetto1 (Sabal minor); Flowering quince (Chaenomeles japonica) - not evergreen; Glossy abelia (Abelia grandiflora); Grayleaf cotoneaster (Cotoneaster glaucophylla); Indian hawthorne (Raphiolepis indica ); Japanese boxwood (Buxus japonica); Juniper; Nandina compact (Nandina domestica compacta). Hope one of these plants appeals to you!