The Q&A Archives: Midnight Blue Agapanthus and Cold Hardiness

Question: I would like to puchase the above perennial from Rosedale in Hawthorne, NY, however, I need to know if they will survive the winter here in Westchester County, NY.

The tag says hardy to zone 6, but the sales person at Rosedale said that they probably would not be hardy here. Is that true?

Thank you for your time.

Michael J Benedict
(914) 830-1576

Answer: Most agapanthus are only winter hardy to about zone 8, but this one is particularly hardy -- into zone 6. Your zip code places you in zone 6B or the warmer part of zone 6. It should be fine as long as it is planted in a sheltered location with protection from winter wind, in a well drained soil, and is heavily mulched in late fall. However, if your local nursery people have tried growing it or know gardeners in your local area who have tried growing it and failed, then you should probably defer to their experience. I hope this helps.