The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus Tree regrowth??

Question: Last year I bought a beautiful orange hibiscus tree. The blooms were all orange with no red centers. There were only a few blooms last year, but I was waiting for them to come back the next year. In the winter that we has in 2005/06 the tree died back as normal and I left the trunk of the tree in the ground to find where the new growth should start. This year I show a growth next to where I left the stick/trunk. However, I am not sure if this is a hibiscus or not. The new growth looks like a weed that I have had to pull from my flower beds in other places. Is there an indentifying way to know? I don't want to pull this up thinking it is a weed and then it be a hibiscus plant. Please help?! Thank you!

Answer: Tonya,

I think the best thing it to watch it and wait a while longer. If it is a hibiscus it should be coming from the base of the trunk. If it is coming from more than an inch or so away I doubt it is a hibiscus. Those plants just cannot take a hard freeze and survive. You might want to plant any new ones you get in a large container so you can move it in to a semi protected area such as a garage or better yet a well lighted area when winter arrives.