The Q&A Archives: Japanese Silver Grass problems

Question: I purchased 6 of your Japanese Silver Grass plants at Wasco Nursery in St Charles, IL and as of this date(6-10-06)only one of the plants has come up in almost full bloom. The others only have a few branches (3 or 4) that have sprouted. I have followed all the recommended steps for this plant. I cut the plant down in the spring and also fertilized but it just seems that they will not grow. Could it be that we have had a relatively cool spring ? I have been told that this plant likes the heat. Can I expect that these plants will just be a late starter since it is their first full growing season since planted ? These are one of favorite plants in the landscape when in full bloom and I sure would like some advise on them. Thanks in advance, Rich Maruszak

Answer: Japanese Silver Grass does like heat so I think that's why yours are slow in starting. They will probably surprise you, though, when the weather warms. At that time they will probably make up for lost time by growing very quickly. Continue to give them good care and be a little more patient with them. Best wishes with your garden!