The Q&A Archives: pampas grass

Question: I emailed you 2 weeks ago about my Monrovia Pampas Grass (Eriantbus ravennae, Saccbarum ravennae). I bought it early last summer and gave it weekly waterings to promot a good root system. It is now June 11 and it has not come up yet. The care tag says goo to zone 4 which I live in. Is this plant a sloww starter or is it dead? We have had a fairly normal spring as far as temps and rain fall. Please respond ASAP as if it will not come back I need to replace it. Thank you.

Answer: All of my references indicate that Ravenna Grass is hardy only to zone 5 so if you haven't seen signs of life from your plant by this time, you may need to replace it. If you plant it in a protected area and mulch over it for the winter, it may survive. Otherwise, just plan on treating it as an annual and purchasing a new one each spring. Best wishes with your garden!