The Q&A Archives: How do repot Bromeliad plants

Question: I received a small pot with 3 bromeliad in it. I believe it needs to be repotted in a larger container. What kind of potting soil do I need to use. The container I have in mind is a larger container, can I fill the bottom part with some kind of filler so the pot is not so heavy?

Answer: You didn't say what type of bromeliad. Some of them do well in close quarters. They prefer a well-drained, light and porous soil, such as one with perlite or pumice for drainage. As a general guideline, it's not a good idea to pot up in a much larger container than the plant size, as it's more difficult to maintain consistent soil moisture when the root system is small. If you have a decorative pot that you want to use, I'd suggest planting the bromeliad in an appropriate sized container and then set it inside the larger container, disguising the empty space with Spanish moss, for example. Here is a webpage with lots of good info on repotting from the S.E. Michigan Bromeliad Society.

Good luck!