The Q&A Archives: Pixie Meadowbrite Coneflower

Question: I recently purchased (about mid-May) your new Pixie Meadowbrite Coneflower and was very excited about adding it to my garden. After just a few weeks, we had about 1-2 weeks of rain. Now my coneflower is gone because of crown rot. I don't understand how this could happen. All of the other perennials in the garden did just fine, including other coneflowers. I've purchased other monrovia plants in the past and have always been happy with your products. I've dug the plant out of the garden. The tap root is already quite deep so I wondered if I potted that, woiuld the plant make a comeback? I look forward to hearing from you.

Answer: Crown rot can happen if the plant is set too deeply in the ground or settles too deep, or if the area is not well enough drained, or if the plant is mulched too heavily or a combination of factors. It might be worth a try to transplant it. If you feel there was a problem with the plant itself, you would need to contact the retailer where you purchased it. I'm sorry about your plant.