The Q&A Archives: Shrubs Dwarf Alberta Spruce

Question: My dwarf alberta spruce has tips that are turning brown. What could be causing this, and what can I do to remedy the problem? I have already lost one alberta spruce with the same problem. Please advise.Could it be spider mites, if so what can I use to rid my shrub of these?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not able to give you a specific diagnosis. Winter damage, drought stress, accidental herbicide exposure, de-icer salt damage, over fertilizing, insects such as spruce mites and diseases can all cause tip browing. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension for an exact diagnosis of the problem, and based on knowing that, determine how to proceed. If a chemical control is needed, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when is best to use it. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you long distance.