The Q&A Archives: Canna Lilies Didn't Come Up

Question: I planted 8 canna lillies about 2.5 months ago and only 2 came up. The bulbs were healthy - there was no mold or anything like that. I planted them in direct sun and watered them. I used bags of commercial potting mix.

Answer: It sounds as though you did everything right, especially if you planted the rhizomes 3-4 inches deep and 1? to 3 feet apart. Cannas grow best in full sun and hot weather, providing they have adequate moisture and a soil high in organic matter. I think your remaining canna's will sprout within the next few weeks. If you're concerned, you can try digging them up to see if they're beginning to produce roots and are beginning to show signs of sprouting. Otherwise, you can just wait patiently - I think they will sprout when the weather is really warm. Best wishes with your garden!