The Q&A Archives: brown leaves on jack frost-siberian bugloss

Question: Last week I purchased a Jack Frost (Monrovia) from a local nursery. Planted it in an area where it gets 3-4 hours morning sun. Have watered it daily but is not soggy; have pine needles around it for mulch. Most of the outer parts of the leaves are now turning brown- no sign of insect activity. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Phil

Answer: From your description, I'd venture that your bugloss is suffering from a little transplant shock and perhaps from over-watering. Browning edges can indicate salt burn (over-fertilization) or suffocation (over-watering). Instead of watering on a daily basis, gradually wean your plant away from frequent drinks with the goal of watering deeply once each week. Deep but infrequent watering will encourage deep rooting, which will make your bugloss able to tolerate hot weather and short droughts (and you won't be a slave to watering). Best wishes with your garden!