Question: I have a major slope (about 4'high)in my front yard. Mulch will slide straight down and I can?t afford to build a rock wall. What can I do to make this a rock garden with ground cover that won?t slide onto the side-walk? I'm breaking my back mowing down hill.

Please help

Answer: Erosion control is sometimes a difficult proposition. There are several groundcovers that might suit your purpose. Ajuga, Rockcress, Manzanita and Carex (New Zealand Hair Sedge) are first choices. Wild Buckwheat, Acacia redolens, and Gazania would also grow well once established. Why not check around and see what other plants are growing in your area? Perhaps you'll see something you like even better than the above suggestions. Once you have a groundcover or two established, you'll be able to interplant with taller perennials, small shrubs, etc. Best wishes with your sloping hillside!