The Q&A Archives: wintering agapanthus

Question: I have an agapanthus and don't know what to do to winter it in MN - zone 4.

Answer: Agapanthus (Lily-of-the-Nile) is a rhizome grown in the ground as an evergreen perennial in warmer areas. In colder areas where it must be grown as a container plant, it can be set outside for the summer and brought in for the winter. In terms of general container care, the plants prefer a rich but well-drained soil mix and moderate to bright light indoors. During the winter when growth is slow they should be watered lightly -- just enough to keep the soil from going dry and grown on the cool side. Ideally, they appreciate cooler temperatures at night say 50 to 55 degrees and cool days of perhaps 65 degrees. During the summer, however, the plants need copious amounts of water and seem to do best when somewhat pot-bound. In my experience the plant will "rest" after flowering but not defoliate during winter, making it an attractive plant year around. Best wishes with your agapanthus.