The Q&A Archives: Trumpet creeeper vine that won't produce flowers??

Question: I have a Trumpet Creeper that has been in the ground and growing for 3 years. This is the thrid season with no blooms. the foliage grows out of control. i noticed at the end of one long trailer vine the other day the first salmon colored berries that have opened into flowers. However, this is the only bloom or bud on the enitre vine and it is expansive. I fertilized in late April. What am I doing wrong or not doing? I would think it should be covered with flowers by now and especially in its third growing season. Thanks, I am perplexed. Gail

Answer: As you've discovered, trumpet creeper flowers on new shoots, so to encourage lots of blooms, you'll need to prune it on an annual basis. I'd also recommend not fertilizing your trumpet creeper. Nitrogen encourages lush, green growth, sometimes at the expense of flowers. So, hold off on the fertilizer for at least a season to see if that makes a difference in flowering. In late winter or early spring, cut back the side shoots to a few buds, and thin out overcrowded shoots. This should result in lots of flowering wood for next year. Right now you can reduce the length of some of the vines to see if they have time to produce new flowering wood for later in the season. It's worth a try! Best wishes with your garden.