The Q&A Archives: Burgundy miscanthus senesis gracillimus?

Question: I just purchased6 Monrovia maiden grass labeled miscanthus sinesis gracillimus. They all have burgundy blades. I asked the nurseryman about this as I thought there was no ornamental grass (perennial) in my zone that had burgundy blades. In spite of what your tag said, he assured me they would stay burgundy. No research I have done mentions that this species has burgundy foliage ever. Is this a mis-marked plant or is this plant capable of burgundy blades this time of year? Thank you. Ron Rowes

Answer: I think your plant is mis-marked. Miscanthus gracillimus has green foliage; Miscanthus sinensis 'Bluetenwunder' has mid green foliage with burgundy "ankles". I do not know of any Miscanthus sinensis with completely burgundy foliage. Just out of curiosity, I'd ask the nurseryman the source of their information. Best wishes in your research!