The Q&A Archives: Five Variety Fuji Rootstock Apple Tree

Question: I just purchased an apple tree from Home Depot in Colma, CA. It is a fuji rootstock with five varieties grafted on: braeburn, gala, fuji, and gravenstein. I was told the item is a semi-dwarf. Mostly what I'd like to know is if this particular tree will do well in my zone (8A or Coastal California). I have a Gravenstein tree already that does well. I'm worried about the Fuji rootstock because my Sunset Guide does not list my zone (17) as a good place to grow Fuji trees.

Answer: Because your relatively warm winter season will not provide the chilling requirement most apple need, you may have a lovely tree but not much fruit. Gala will do well in your area (it's a low chill apple) and gravenstein will fruit; fuji needs between 200-400 hours of chill (temperatures below 45F), so it may fruit for you, especially during an unusually cold winter. I think the tree will be attractive enough on its own to warrant having it in your landscape - you can just consider the fruit it bears to be an added bonus. Enjoy your garden!