The Q&A Archives: Canna Australia

Question: I just bought a Canna Australia and would like to know the best way to split it, if possible. I can see that a couple shoots have come up alongside the main bunch of shoots and wold like to know if this is even advisable? Thanks!

Answer: You can divide your canna, but late winter or early spring is the optimal time. This plant extends through rhizomes (much like an iris). Dig and divide in late winter by breaking or cutting the rhizome into pieces. Each section should have at least 3 buds to guarantee new stems. Replant after dividing. In the spring each of your divisions should sprout new foliage. You can also collect seeds from the flowers and start new cannas from the seeds. Or, if you don't want to collect the seeds, cut off the spent flowers during the season to encourage additional flowering.