The Q&A Archives: Wintherthur Smooth Viburnum Leaves Turning Black

Question: We planted two Monrovia Winterthur Smooth Viburnum bushes approximately 2 weeks ago. One of them is doing fine, the other's leaves are turning black and curling and some of the leaves that are still green are curling and drying up. We have been watering every other day. What could be causing the black leaves and what can we do about it?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain what is happening to your plant. This might be stress-related or a fungal or bacterial infection, or due to a combination of factors. Since it is a new plant, I would suggest you contact your retailer for assistance. You might also consult with your local county extension. If it is something that requires a chemical control, they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when is best to apply it. I am sorry you are having trouble with your viburnum.