The Q&A Archives: I live in Mathis, TX I am originally from the coast of Oregon and grew beautiful Roses. Iplanted th

Question: roses wont grow

Answer: Linn,

Roses in the hot sultry Texas heat can be a challenge but are very doable! The keys to great and productive roses here in Texas are:
1-Select varieties adapted to the heat.
2-Select a site with plenty of sunlight (6 hours minimum)
3-Build a slightly raised planting bed incorporating plenty of composted bark into the soil.
4-Keep the plants well watered but not soggy in the hot summer months.
5-Fertilize every 4 weeks from spring to early fall.
6-Protect foliage of susceptible varieties from powdery mildew, blackspot, mites and aphids with appropriate sprays as needed.
7-Prune in February and again in late August to promote new growth for the fall blooming period.

In order to provide you with more information than we can fit in this brief answer, let me refer you to the following web site, which should be very informative and useful to you.