The Q&A Archives: What happened to my Indian Hawthorn?

Question: I read your planting instructions for Indian Hawthorn, and I have a question. I purchased three of these (Monrovia) beautiful plants from a local nursery. Two of them lapsed within the first year of planting. Today, I transplanted the lone survivor, and I would like for him to pull through. Originally, the three were in full sun and in very good soil, and two of them died. The transplant is in afternoon sun. Is there anything special I should be doing for this plant? I am wondering if I should cut it back. It hasn't bloomed since I purchased it. This has been both puzzling and disappointing. Any advice you are willing to offer will be most appreciated. Thank-you!
Connie Glass

Answer: I'm not really sure why your Indian hawthorns have failed to thrive. They will adapt to any soil type, have a high tolerance to salt, and are drought resistant once established. They do require well draining soils, though, or they can develop root rot. Indian hawthorn will not be as dense or flower well if grown in partial shade. In addition, plants in less than 6 hours sun often lose foliage due to a leaf spot disease. Be sure air circulation is good around theplant to prevent leaf spot diseases. Overall, this is a perfect low-maintenance shrub in a full sun position. Wish I could be more helpful!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"