The Q&A Archives: Identify plant

Question: I am trying to identify a plant that was given to me a few months ago, and have not been able to find a picture or anything out about this houseplant. The leaves are shaped similar to the cordyline plant leaves. The leaves are a meduim to dark green in color with a slight waxy finish and the stems from the leaves to the main part of the plant are light orange in color. The center of the plant is also orange in color with these small pine cone colored and shaped clusters. I'm not sure if this is where the leaf formation starts or if this plant is a flowering plant? It also seems to like the soil more moist and indirect bright light. Someone told me that they thought it was called a Mandarin _____________? (something, they could not remember the next portion of the name.) Any info or help that you could provide with the identity of ths plant would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.
Annette La Spina

Answer: What you're growing could be Cryptanthus, an member of the bromeliad family. If so, the pine cone colored growth is the plant's "flower". Try a web search to see photos of this plant. If this is not your plant, submit another question through the Home Depot website with additional description and we'll try again.