The Q&A Archives: Irrigation for new plants & grass in the desert

Question: We have a new home with all new trees, shrubs and grass. The builder set our automatic sprinkler system in April to run three times a day for 10 minutes. With all these new plants I'm not sure if this is adequate now that the weather is getting so hot (today about 110).

Answer: The amount of water will depend upon your soil type, the plants themselves, and of course the weather. Without knowing how the soil was prepared prior to planting and what plants you're growing, it's difficult for me to assess the situation. Generally, builders want your landscape to succeed because of warranties. So, I think they probably set your timers to work on a schedule that has been successful in the past. Here's a website with gardening information specifically for California desert climates:
Check it out and you'll learn about the soil relationship to plant type and weather. Hope you find it helpful!