The Q&A Archives: dropping leaves

Question: HEllo. i have 3 pyracanthas on frames@ actual plants on each) on a southern wall. They are about 3 years old now.. Last year i lost one half of one. all the leaves dropped off.. We replaced it and now another one is doing the same.. Last year, it looked as if the leaves were turning a rust color and looked a little

Answer: I'm sorry, but it's not clear to me if your plants are in the ground or in containers when you say they are on frames, which could make a difference in their care. Either way, southern walls are intensely hot in summer, which can be a stressful location for plants. You didn't mention how you were watering, whether you fertilized or other details, so it's difficult to say exactly what the problem might be. Sudden leaf drop could be caused by fertilizing in the heat of summer, which can burn the roots, or it could be caused by water stress. The strange leaf color could be a nutrient deficiency. I recommend you take a sample of the problem leaves/branches to your County Cooperative Extension office, 2345 Red Rock St, Las Vegas, 702-223-3130. They can diagnose what's going on. Good luck!