The Q&A Archives: Soil

Question: I have been wanting to landscape the front yard, I live in San Antonio Texas where we dont have much of a winter and would like some ideas on some heat resistant plants. Also I cant seem to grow anything in my soil, everytime I plant something it dies,can u give me some soil tips also.

Answer: Roland,

Build up the soil prior to planting by mixing in an inch or two of compost in a wide area around the plants, not just the planting hole. Your County Extension Office has free information on the best plants for your area. Their contact information is:

3355 Cherry Ridge St., Ste. 212
San Antonio, TX 78230
Phone: 210/225-5848

For some tough plant suggestions to get you started I suggest Yellow Bells or Esperanza, Salvia 'Indigo Spires', Salvia greggii, Purple Heart, Burford holly, Cenizo or Texas Sage, Crape Myrtles, and for an annual flower try Narrow Leaf Zinnias or the regular garden zinnias (not so tough but fast and beautiful, just keep watered).