The Q&A Archives: Weigela blossoms

Question: I have a beautiful weigela bush that for the last two years gets loaded with buds but the buds never open. They stay closed most of the summer and then dry up in the fall. It has grown a lot in the last couple of years and is located in a partial sun location. I have another one in a different part of the yard that is almost completely shaded in by other bushes and it blossoms. Do you have any idea what the problem is?

Answer: The problem with non-flowering is almost always lack of sufficient sunlight. Weigela is a full sunshine plant so you'll need to move your shrub to a sunnier spot in order to enjoy those lovely blossoms. I'm surprised another weigela in nearly full shade is blooming for you. Must be a different cultivar! Best wishes with your garden!