The Q&A Archives: Is Ipomoea indica (acuminata) deciduous

Question: I am looking for an evergreen vine with low water needs in full sun. I would like to use Ipomoea indica (Blue Dawn Flower) and I would like to know if this is evergreen. Can you buy it from a nursery, or do you plant it from seeds? Once established, will it grow with only rain water in Long Beach? Does it need a trellis to grow on a fence?

Answer: Ipomoea indica is a rapid and tall perennial or evergreen twiner, sometimes forming a woody base. The stems and undersides of leaves finely pubescent. Leaves 3-8in long, heart-shaped to 3-lobed. Flowers are borne in clusters of five, opening to bright blue-violet 3-5in Morning Glories which fade to a rose or soft red-violet, creating an overall two-tone effect in heavy bloom. Often admired for its beauty and dramatic display.

Seeds are rarely produced, but as the vine grows very rapidly, often sending runners along the ground to new areas (unknown to the causal observer), it is often thought to be 'self-seeding'. Can cover large areas in a short time! Ipomoea indica can be invasive and should not be planted close to wildlands!.

Native of South America, now circumtropical as a cultivated and naturalized plant (Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Guinea, Pakistan, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pacific Islands) in coastal habitats and moist forests. As such, it will need supplemental water during the growing season. It will sprawl on the ground but looks better when growing up a fence or trellis.