The Q&A Archives: White Fungus on Prunus Lauroceraus

Question: I planted two Schipka Laurels this past spring along the edge of a tree line that recieves at least five hours of sun a day. Both plants showed signs of not receiving enough water early on (i.e browing leafs and wilting), so I increased the amount of water. I often watered them several times a day. This seemed to help with the overall look of the plants, but now I noticed a white fungus growing on some of the upper branches. What is this stuff and does it have something to do with to much water?

Answer: The fungus could be powdery mildew or possibly may be the residue of an insect. To really know what to do about it you will need a positive identification. I suggest that you take a sample from the plant along with a photo of the plant in its growing location (if possible) to your County Extension Office to see if they can help diagnose the problem and recommend an appropriate course of action. Their contact information is:

114 Pace Drive
Trenton, GA 30752-2412
Phone: 706-657-4116